Recipe: Cauliflower And Green Pea Fritters
The following recipe is one of our popular requests for special dietary requirements. It caters to vegetarians, dairy free, gluten free and can be tailored to suit other special diets.
- 380gms chick pea flour
- 130gms rice flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp black pepper ground
- 4 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 380mls cold water
- 2 large brown onions sliced
- ½ large head sliced cauliflower – blanched (just cooked in boiling water then plunged into ice cold water then drained)
- 2 cups green peas: blanched
- 4 tsp fresh chopped garlic
- 4 tsp fresh grated ginger
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the water and mix to a batter (this will be very thick and almost too dry).
- Add the onions, cauliflower, peas, mint, coriander, garlic and ginger.
- Use your hands and fingers to mix to a nice batter. Will take a few minutes.
- Let stand for one hour or so.
- Heat a non stick pan and spray with rice bran oil or similar.
- Scoop portions of the batter in to the hot pan forming pattie shapes and cook slowly for a few minutes on each side to a nice golden brown – it is necessary when first turning to flatten slightly for even cooking to the centre.
- Once cooked, place the patties on a paper towel and keep warm.
- Serve with your favourite condiment.
- You can take small handfuls and deep fry at 165°C until they float to the top and colour slightly. When you are ready to eat, re-fry at 180°C.
- Once cooked these patties can be frozen on a tray and bagged free-flow.
- Cauliflower and peas can be substituted with almost any other seasonal vegetables…
By Gordon McKenzie