9 ways to connect and make a difference
We are about educating and inspiring through developing relationships and connecting!
Inspirational Ted Talk from the legendary
Rita Pierson – a teacher for 40 years, who once heard a colleague say, “They don’t pay me to like the kids.” Her response: “Kids don’t learn from people they don’t like.’”
You need to believe in your students and actually connect with them on a real, human, personal level.
People buy from people who they like and connect with
Every one of you have been influenced and taught a great lesson from a teacher that they have connected with –
People learn from people who they like.
9 gems from the talk
1. Make people feel good about themselves – “we were brought together because you are the best students and I am the best teacher” – student says “really”
2 right answers out of 29 questions is better than 18 wrong answers. Put a smiley – not a frown!
3. Steve covey – seek first to understand before being understood – find out their why!!!
4. Apologise – say sorry if you do something wrong. -being humble goes a long way .
5. Engage them – Great way to keynect – if you are talking to a group of students – ask them to sms you what they want to be when they are older!
If you are talking to a business – ask them to sms you what they are – or what they want to be – A strap line that embodies what they want to become
6. Talk to them – don’t talk at them
7. Teachers need to be great actors – even if you don’t like Someone – they must never know – you still have to teach him , influence him and inspire him – you have that as an obligation – and to teach him well – you have to develope a rapport and connect – work out a way.
8. Find a way that the teaching will bring joy and inspiration – everybody deserves to be a champion – and everybody deserves to feel loved and cared for
9. Be present – be there for them!
Influence them to be the best that they can be
The benefits – leaving a legacy – Ritas mother was a great teacher – she went to visit kids at home who needed help, developed relationships , connected –
She made them feel that they were somebody when they felt that they were nobody.
She made a difference in there lives – made a difference to the world – by helping her students along the road to success – by forming that relationship and connection with them.
When she died there were so many kids that she developed a relationship with and connected that came to her funeral – that Rita knew that she would never be forgotten – she left a legacy – she made a difference!!
Educating is a privilige – and we have an obligation to create a keynection – anyone can educate and lead and make a difference
We can do this – we are teachers, we are leaders and Leadership is about influence – nothing more and nothing less – and to influence – you need to keynect and make a difference.