10 things to think about when setting your goals for 2017
Inspired by Bob Pritchard
1. Set big hairy audacious goals – think big. If you want to be a millionaire, focus on making your first $20 million. If you fall short, you can bet you will have well and truly made your first million. Essentially, if you are prepared to put in the brainpower, the commitment and the dedication, nothing is impossible. Only failures dream small.
Set a low bar and you will probably end up working in a low bar. Keep your goals on the border line of the impossible. Set your sights higher than the average believe possible.
2. Work smart and usually ludicrous hours to achieve them at the expense of any social life. You can and will achieve work – life balance…just not both at the same time.
3. Set goals that are in line with your values. If you are an entrepreneur your corporate goals and life goals are probably intertwined. At least your life will be a combination of exhilaration, excitement, disappointment and anguish instead of just plain boring, monotonous and frustrating if you go work for the man.
4. You must set goals that you can control, not goals that are totally dependent on outside forces or other people, most of whom are unreliable. Unless every single aspect of your goal is under your control, you have very little likelihood of ever achieving it.
5. Take Action – Don’t believe that good things come to those who wait, those who wait will only get the crap that those who are out there pushing the envelope and really hustling leave behind or do not want. Set those audacious goals and set equally challenging increments to establish your success path along the way.
6. Visualize the end result and keep that image in your mind. Then visualize every step along the way as part of that image. Then try to outperform every one of those increments.
7. Always be positive, the world is full of dream takers, beginning with school teachers, lawyers, accountants and mediocre family members who call themselves practical, but are really just full of negative energy. Your dreams only have to be realistic to you. Fuck everyone else. Don’t even let failure enter your mind. Look at how many people have overcome incredible adversity by believing and remaining positive. You want to be one of them. Sure you will have adversity and challenges but each one overcome makes you closer to your goal
8. No matter what your goal, whether an audacious one or a losers goal, you will face adversity, but
nothing you can’t overcome if you think about the solution and don’t give up.
9. The world is full of losers whose only claim to fame is their ability to blame others for their plight. Only surround yourself with winners, positive people who are optimistic, dump the losers. You don’t need their negative energy. However, when the opportunity presents itself, you must try to inspire these people to cast away the ‘can not’ attitude and accept the ‘can do’. You then need to mentor them until winning becomes second nature to them.
10. Mental strength is really important because you either win or lose in your mind. With anything you do, you do it first with your mental strength and you can actually train and develop it. There is no satisfaction in losing, emotionally, financially or in any other way, but there is immense satisfaction in a multitude of ways when you win.